A Melodious Morning in Bergen, Norway

It was a quiet holiday morning in a small town surrounded by lush green mountains on one side and a beautiful lake on the other. I was taking a stroll through the bending roads. The calmness of the road was occasionally broken by the sound of chirping birds. It was not chilling cold but I had to put on a light jacket. The cloud covered sky was waiting for the raindrops.The brightly colored triangular shaped houses were enhancing the charm.



























The name of this small town on the lap of the mountain is Bergen, the cultural capital of Norway and a world heritage city.




On my way to exploring this lovely city on a peaceful morning, suddenly the soft breeze from the lake whispered a lovely tune in my ears. I was bewildered in between curiosity and surprise. I was flown towards the melody. I do believe that "Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent", as said by Victor Hugo.

When I went near the harbour, I saw something like a festival happening, with lots of people in colourful clothes. It is known as Torgdagene, which means the Market Day in Norwegian. It was 8th June, 2013 and this event takes place every year around the same time.

I saw few couples dancing to a Norwegian folk tune. The music was so melodious. They were all wearing their traditional dresses. The couples were young at heart. Age had not deterred them from enjoying life to its fullest.



Although the Norwegian language was completely unknown to me, I was also celebrating the music and tapping my toes with them. Anything which touches our heart has a common language of compassion. Dance is a form of art which goes beyond languages and knocks us with its universal appeal.

The quiet and peaceful holiday morning in the small town that day has enriched me . I saw a glimpse of the colorful Norwegian culture, especially folk culture. People were celebrating, singing and dancing and were enjoying life!

Life is but an accumulation of some moments, which we wish to remember. The moments in Bergen will surely occupy a page in my life's book.

There are so many things to describe regarding Bergen! Surely I will do it in another article!


The mystic mountains, beautiful lake and colorful celebrations defined Bergen for me amidst the common daily life.

Remembering the lovely quote by Maya Angelou, "Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends".


Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,