Black Diamond in Copenhagen, Denmark!

One of the unique things of memory is, it comes back often. Sometimes it makes us happy, sometimes we become melancholic and often it inspires. My string of memories binds all the inspiring reminiscences with tender care and nurtures it passionately. It often surfaces amidst the labyrinths of my mind, enlivens me when I feel down, rendering me refreshed with utmost zeal to acquire knowledge, more and more.

In the journey of acquiring more knowledge, my solemn resources are books (nowadays internet as well). I consider the abode of books as my temple, church, mosque and gurudwara. Yeah, you got it right, I am talking about libraries. I am fond of libraries, the smell of books all around, the penetrating silence and the peace inside. Previously I have written about The Library of Princeton University. This time it is about the national library of Denmark and Copenhagen university - Black Diamond, one among the world's five most beautiful libraries. 























This spectacular waterfront library is an extension of the old Danish library. The nickname "Black Diamond" is due to the black granite cladding and irregular angles. The exterior of polished black granite is so reflective that one can see the sky, the clouds, the water and the boats on it. It is one of the iconic buildings of Copenhagen and the largest library in Nordic countries. If one has a penchant for books or modern designs, then this is the place to be.



























Another interesting part to notice is the union of the old edifice with the new one. The impressive exterior made us curious enough to go inside the building and explore. When we stepped inside, it impressed us even more.



























Narratives can't do complete justice to the experience of a cup of coffee while seeing the boats passing by the canal from the ground floor of the library. We went further up and was amazed to see the wonderful blend in the interior designs with the old building to that of the new.















The preserved treasures inside the Danish library are astounding.

It has "the heart book", which is regarded as the oldest danish ballad manuscript compiled in 1550s. It has 83 love ballads.

A Gutenberg bible, original manuscripts of Kierkegaard, Hans Christian Anderson and many more.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards" by Soren Kierkegaard


Finally, after coming out of the library when my bibliophilic mind was suffused with joy and peace, I took a stroll outside and clicked some of these pictures.



























I would love to know your views about visiting Library! Do you like visiting a library?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,